Fatwa No : 5989
Names and responsibilities of some angels
Fatwa Date : Shawwaal 20, 1431 / 28-9-2010
What are the angels’ names? What are their responsibilities?
All perfect praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad , is His Slave and Messenger.
The angels have names and specific duties. They are noble and dutiful messengers who never disobey Allaah The Almighty.
The following are names and duties of some angels, according to the Quran and Sunnah (tradition):
• Jibreel (Gabriel) the Trustworthy who is entrusted with conveying revelation to the messengers of Allaah The Almighty.
• Mikaa’eel or Mikaal (Michael) who is entrusted with rainfall.
• Israafeel who is commissioned to blow the Trumpet on the Day of Judgment.
• The Angel of Death, who is assigned the task of taking the souls of man at death. ‘Azraa’eel is not established as a name for the Angel of Death . This name is mentioned in some reports by the People of the Book.
• The Noble and Recording angels, who are entrusted with writing down man’s deeds, either good or evil. The one on the right records the good deeds, and the one on the left records the evil deeds.
• There are angels who come in turns, some in the night and others in the daytime.
• There are angels who roam, following the assemblies of Thikr (remembrance), dedicated to mentioning and remembering Allaah The Almighty.
• There are angels who are commissioned to guard man while awake or asleep and at all times.
• Munkar and Nakeer, may Allaah exalt their mention, who bring about the trial in the grave.
• There are angels who are in charge of Paradise. They are called keepers and Ridhwaan is their leader. There are angels who are in charge of Hell. They are called keepers and Maalik is their leader.
And Allaah Knows best.
|It is impermissible to say that angels were created from the light of Allaah|
|How the recording angels know about a person's intentions|
|Seeing angels and one's aura through concentration|
|Calling Jibreel (Gabriel) Archangel|
|What Islam offers the Earth||
|Hajj: A Season for Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil-II||
|Hajj: A Season for Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil-I||