Please explain the term Tabarruk and give the Islamic verdict.
All perfect praise be to Allah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, and that Muhammad is His Slave and Messenger.
Tabarruk is an Arabic word which means seeking goodness by virtue of touching or being close to something. It is not allowed except through the matters that are allowed in Islam, since it is among the matters that can be learned only through the teachings of Islam.
Seeking Tabarruk by the following is allowed:
1. The personality of the Prophet or by Zam Zam water or the Black stone of the Ka'bah.
2. Times; the month of Ramadan, the Night of Decree, and the first ten days of the month of Thul-Hijjah.
3. Places; Makkah, Al-Madeenah, and Baytul Maqdis (Al-Aqsaa).
4. Good deeds; the Prayers, Fasting, and paying Zakah.
Seeking Tabarruk by virtue of matters which are not mentioned in Islam is considered a prohibited type of Tabarruk, such as:
1) By virtue of scholars or pious people.
2) Times like the night of (Al-Israa') the Night Journey of the Prophet and his birthday.
3) Places like graves and the like.
4) Innovated acts.
Allah Knows best.