Co-wives commit lesbian acts in threesome with husband

• Fatwa Date:15/02/2017 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 19, 1438
  • Rating:

Question

I am a former imam from Turkey who now lives in Australia. I was asked a very bizarre question about marriage, and I could only answer half of it, so I did not answer it. However, since this is not the first time that I hear of such things, I thought it would be a good idea to ask this question. A brother has two wives; they had a threesome, and during the threesome, lesbian acts were committed. Does this invalid the marriages given that it included acts of lesbianism? May Allaah reward you.

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allah, The Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad, sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger. 

The lesbian acts that were committed between the two wives do not affect the validity of the marriage. However, the conduct of these spouses is denounced for two reasons:

Firstly, intercourse entails exposing the ‘Awrah (what should be covered of the body), so each of the wives saw the ‘Awrah of the other. This is a prohibited deed and a hideous act indicating that their sound human nature has been corrupted, and it shows an inclination to an animalistic type of life. Please refer to fatwas 84589 and 84030.

Secondly, the lesbian acts committed by the two wives are a manifest sin and a fulfillment of lust in an unlawful manner other than that made lawful by Allah. Allah, The Exalted, says (what means): {And they who guard their private parts except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed, but whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors.} [Quran 23:5-7]

Hence, the three of them must make sincere repentance to Allah. The conditions of sincere repentance were underlined in fatwa 86527.