Tasbeeh prayer

Question

I was use to pray Salat al-Tasbeeh but now some one has informed me that some scholars (even in Saudi Arabia) say that it was not a confirmed Sunnah I would like to know if reading Salat al-Tasbeeh is right?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Muslim scholars are of two opinions about the ruling of Tasbeeh prayer.
First: It is desirable. Second: It is not permissible.
The reason for this disagreement is their differences regarding the authenticity of a Hadith in this matter.
The majority of the known scholars of Hadith believe that the Hadith is sound. So, they are of the opinion that offering Tasbeeh prayer is desirable. Those scholars who hold this opinion are al-Daru Qutni, al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi, Abu Musa al-Madani - these scholars also wrote a booklet in this subject - Abu Bakr Bin Abu Dawood, al-Hakim, al-Syooti, al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar, al-Albani and others.
On the other hand, those who believe that the above Hadith is weak or fabricated issue a decree that Tasbeeh prayer should not be performed. Ibn al-Jawzi, Sirajuddin al-Qazweeni, Sheikh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, Imam Ahmad and others are among those scholars who hold the later opinion.
Hafiz Ibn Hajar narrated that Imam Ahmad changed his opinion concerning the weakness of this Hadith. Ali Bin Sayeed al-Nasaee said: 'I asked Imam Ahmad about the prayer of Tasbeeh. He said: 'I do not have any authentic Hadith in this concern'. Then Ali narrated the Hadith from al-Mustamir Ibn al-Rayyan from Abi al-Jawza from Abudllah Ibn Amar. Imam Ahmad asked who narrated to you? Ali said: Muslim Bin Ibrahim. He said: al-Mustamir (a narrator of this Hadith) is trustworthy'. It seems that Imam Ahmad was pleased with of this Hadith. This narration proves that he changed his opinion and inclined to its desirability.
Finally, the preponderant opinion is that this Hadith through many chains reaches the degree of authenticity. Therefore, offering Tasbeeh prayer is Sunnah.