Since many pilgrims are ignorant of the rituals of Hajj in Muzdalifah and thus many mistakes are made in this ritual, we would like to alert people to that in the following points:
1. Spending the night of the Day of Nahr (the 10th day of Thul-Hijjah) in Muzdalifah is one of the Hajj obligations.
2. Pilgrims should move from ‘Arafah to Muzdalifah after sunset of the 9th day. They should move quietly and with tranquility, and when the road is wide, they should move somewhat quickly provided that they do not harm anyone. This is the Sunnah (tradition) of the Prophet, .
3. The pilgrim performs the Maghrib (sunset) and the ‘Ishaa’ (night) prayers combined in Muzdalifah. Only the ‘Ishaa’ prayer is shortened to two Rak‘ahs (units), instead of four. The Maghrib prayer should not be shortened.
4. If the pilgrim reaches Muzdalifah before the ‘Ishaa’ prayer, he performs the Maghrib prayer at its due time and then waits for the time of the ‘Ishaa’ prayer and then performs it. [This is the opinion of Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen ]
5. If the pilgrim needs to perform the two prayers combined due to fatigue, lack of water, or other reasons, he is allowed to do so even before the time of the ‘Ishaa’ prayer.
6. If the pilgrim fears that he will not arrive at Muzdalifah except after midnight, he should perform the prayer even before arriving there. He is not allowed to delay the prayer until after midnight.
7. It is not a part of the Sunnah to spend the night at Muzdalifah in prayer or any other act of worship, because the Prophet, , did not do so. Rather, he should sleep early in order to get up active to perform the deeds of the Day of Nahr.
8. When the time of the Fajr (dawn) prayer is due, the pilgrim should perform the Fajr prayer early with one Athaan (call for prayer) and Iqaamah (second call for prayer). Then he should move to Al-Mash‘ar Al-Haraam, where he should repeat “Laa Ilaaha Illaa Allah” and “Allahu Akbar” and supplicate Allah as he likes until it is almost sunrise. If he is unable to go to Al-Mash‘ar Al-Haraam, he is allowed to supplicate wherever he is. The Prophet, , said: “I stood here and all of Jam‘ (Muzdalifah) is a place of standing.”[Muslim] One should face the Qiblah (direction of prayer) and raise his hand upon supplication.
9. When the light of dawn appears, the pilgrim should move before sunrise to Mina.
10. It is permissible for weak men and women to leave Muzdalifah during the night; before dawn. Otherwise, one should wait there until he performs the Fajr prayer as the Prophet, , did.
Mistakes made in Muzdalifah
1. Notstaying within the boundaries ofMuzdalifah.
2. Not facing the Qiblah during the prayer.
3. Collecting pebbles in Muzdalifah before the prayer. The correct thing to do is to perform the prayer first.
4. Delaying the Maghrib and the ‘Ishaa’ prayers until after midnight.
5. Treating the matter of leaving Muzdalifah before dawn even though there is no necessity lightly.
6. Spending the night in prayer, remembrance of Allah, recitation of the Quran, and so on (as the Prophet, did not do so).
7. Delaying the Fajr prayer after its due time. The Sunnah is to perform it at the beginning of its due time.
8. Sleeping after the Fajr prayer. The correct thing to do is to busy oneself with remembering Allah The Almighty and supplicating until dawn.