Repaying a government study loan in a non-Muslim country
Fatwa No: 130545


And secondly, I've taked a riba-based loans for longtime ago and I have repended from it alhamdulillah rabil alameen. I havent payed back yet and if I should do it I dont know how i should payed back, it continues to grow all the time and the money I get from the state for studying is not enough to pay it off. With my full hijab am not able to get a job and if I start a niqab I better forget tryin to look for a job coz no one will give me a job. My mom does not want to help me. I talked with a sister about my issue and she told me that she heard a lecture/fatwa about all contractual and pinding we have with Kafr will be automatically terminated if it does something against a muslim and since Denmark made the drawing, I have the right to leave when I want without paying anything of the money.. InshaALLAH, I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME!! Jazakallah khair.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and Messenger.


It is an obligation to give back the loan whether the creditor is a Muslim or a non-Muslim. However, you are obliged to repay the original loan only whenever you become able to do so. But do not pay any interests if you can avoid paying them, even by tricking and evasion as we clarified in Fatwa 88360.

However, if you are not able to avoid repaying the interests and you are obliged to repay the loan including the interests, then you are not sinful. Nonetheless, you are not permitted at all to avoid repaying the original debt on the pretext that those countries insult Islam.

As regards Hijab, it is not permissible for you to give it up so that you could get a job. If you cannot adhere to the Hijab in that country, then you are obliged to migrate to a Muslim country where you will be able to show your religion and where you will be safe from temptation. For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 84163.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa