Her close friend is committing fornication with a non-Muslim man
Fatwa No: 193547


I have been childhood friends with a girl for about 16 years and she is now 19. She recently started dating a non Muslim boy and after a few weeks with him she started having sex with him. This is the first boy she has had full sex with however she has had close in counters in the past with her ex boyfriend. My question is as a Muslim what is my duty to in Islam todo towards her? Can I still be friends with her? Can I advise her? And is it permissible for me to take her to a clinic where she can get checked up and go on long term contraception to insure she doesn't get pregnant or catch a STI? I really do not want to close her as we have been friends for as long as I can remember.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His Slave and Messenger.


Islam forbade affectionate relationships between boys and girls as this leads to corruption and Zina (unlawful sexual relations). If what you mentioned about that girl is true that she committed Zina with that boy, then it is the best evidence about the grave danger of such relationships. For more benefit, please refer to Fataawa 85254 and 81356.

Hence, you are obliged to advise her about this matter and remind her of Allaah The Almighty and inform her that she must repent. To learn about the conditions of repentance, please refer to Fatwa 86527.

If you are safe from being affected by her, then it is permissible for you to keep company with her with the intention of reforming her. If she repents, praise be to Allaah and this is what is required, otherwise you should desert her, as deserting her may be an obligation according to its benefit. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen  may  Allaah  have  mercy  upon  him said: “If there is a benefit to desert someone, then this is either recommended or obligatory, and this depends on the seriousness of the sin.” For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 18611.

On the other hand, if she takes contraceptive pills, it means that she will continue to commit Zina. The same applies if she goes to carry out tests, and this might encourage her to continue in her sin. Therefore, if she does not repent, just leave her in order to be safe in your religion.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa