How children deal with domestic violence
Fatwa No: 226237

  • Fatwa Date:1-12-2013 - Muharram 28, 1435
  • Rating:


Assalaam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh. What the children are allowed to do in the case of domestic violence? For example if the father would have a habit of beating his children (for no reason) so hard that sometimes he breaks their bones or makes them bleed? Are the children allowed to take the case to the authorities? Or move to live somewhere else if possible, like to relatives house? Jazakumullahu khayran.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and Messenger.

It is not permissible for the father to physically abuse any of his family members. Although he has the authority to discipline his wife and children, there are guidelines for that in Islam, which we have clarified in Fatwa 85764.

If a father is abusive, he should be advised and reminded that Allaah has more power over him than he has over others, as this may deter him.

It is a good idea to seek the help of some righteous and pious people in this regard. If he takes heed, then praise be to Allaah; otherwise, one may take action to protect himself from harm, like going to live with a relative, if the relative is trustworthy. It is also permissible to report him to the authorities if necessary. It was reported in a Hadeeth by Ma’n ibn Yazeed ibn Al-Akhnas  may  Allaah  be  pleased  with  him that he took a matter of dispute with his father to the Prophet  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ). [Al-Bukhari]

Reporting one's father does not mean that one is undutiful to him. Ibn Hajar  may  Allaah  have  mercy  upon  himThis Hadeeth is evidence that it is permissible for a father and his son to seek arbitration, and that this, in itself, is not considered undutifulness.

For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 159237.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa