Chewing gum while fasting

• Fatwa Date:21-8-1999 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 10, 1420
  • Rating:

Question

I am an Engyptian doctor practicing in the U.K. In fasting (Ramadan or optional), my tongue becomes dry. This makes tongue movements during conversation rather sluggish. In turn this makes my accent more difficult to understand by my English speaking patients. Would chewing tasteless gum break my fast (including swallowing saliva; is not acceptable to the European culture to spit and I do not want to have unpleasant smell either). Thanking you for your reply.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.       When the chewing gum does not crumble, and you do not get its taste in your throat, then a fasting person could use it, when in need, but it is not advisable and strongly disliked by scholars,as it may crumble in your mouth, and confuse. On the other hand, some people - Muslims or Non-Muslims - might see you chewing this gum during the fasting time. This might put you in a very delicate situation whereby the Muslims accuse you of not observing the Fasting. Try to avoid this action, as it is known that chewing gum without taste would only increase the dryness and thirst. You may use a “natural” tasteless paste, or MISWAK for changing your mouth smell. Be careful from letting anything reach your throat. Allah knows best.