How to address un-Islamic behavior by high school classmates

• Fatwa Date:30-3-2000 - Thul-Hijjah 25, 1420
  • Rating:

Question

I am a high-school student and at school I see some of my Muslim brothers and sisters doing things that are illegal in the religion of Islam and I am not able of telling them in a religious way. For example: one friend was wearing the hijab and took it off after 2 weeks. Some Muslim friends kiss on the cheeks when they meet (girls and boys together). I would like to have a religious way of addressing them.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. First of all, we ask Allah to reward you for the high interest you have in respecting the prescriptions of Allah, and ask Him to help you stick to the truth. No doubt that enjoining the virtue and forbidding the evil are obligatory on all Muslims. Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): (You [true believers in Islâmic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad [Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him] and his Sunnah (legal ways, etc.)] are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm has ordained) and forbid Al-Munkar (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islâm has forbidden), and you believe in Allâh. [3:110]. The Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Anybody amongst you notices something evil, should correct it with his own hands, if he is unable to do so, he should prohibit the same with his tongue, if he is unable to do so, he should at least consider it as bad in his heart, this is the lowest degree of faith". [Muslim]. Your duty is to advise them and tell them to stick to the virtue and to avoid the evil. You should make clear to them the danger in which they are and tell them how bad it is to commit such sins. We can deduce from your question that you study in a school where there are boys and girls together. Your advice to them should be directed to the dangers of getting mixed with the other sex. The good believer should lower his gaze from looking at what Allah has forbidden. Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): (Tell the believing men to lower their gaze [from looking at forbidden things] and protect their private parts [from illegal sexual acts etc.] that his purer for them. Verily, Allah is All Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze [from looking at forbidden things] and protect their private parts [from illegal sexual acts] ).[31:30]. You should also make clear to them the danger of looking at the other sex on heart and on worshipping of the person himself. You should warn them of what they do like kissing, touching and the like. Shake hands with an alien woman, as this is lawful only for the unmarriageable men. It is proven that the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "That one of you gets stubbed in his head with an iron needle is better for him than touching an alien woman". [al-Tabarani & Baihaqi]. And Allah knows best.