Life after death

• Fatwa Date:30-5-2001 - Rabee' Al-Awwal 8, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

I want to know about what is written in Qur'an about the pain in grave the and every step after death, where the soul it will be settled?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

First of all, know that there is no difference between what is sound from the Sunnah and what is in the Qur'an, as both the Qur'an and the Sunnah are both revelations from Allah The Almighty. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Nor does he (Muhammad) speak of (his own) desire. It is only an Inspiration that is inspired.}[53:3-4]. Allah also Says: {But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither believes in this Qur'ân nor acts on its orders, etc.) verily, for him is a life of hardship,}[20:124].
Abu Huraira, Abdullah Ibn Massoud and Abu said Al Khudri said that "hardship" here means the torment of the grave. Zirr Ibn Hubaish said: "We doubted the torment of the grave till this verse was revealed: {The matual rivalry for piling up of worldly things diverts you. Until you visit the graves (i.e. till you die) Nay! You shall come to Know.}[102:1-3] "To know" the torment of the grave.
Abu Dawood also reported from Anas that he said: "Seek refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave and the temptations of Dajjal (Antichrist)".
Al Tirmizi, Ibn Majah, Ahmad and others reported from Abu Huraira that the Prophet said: "All the torment of the grave is from the urine".
As for what the person undergoes in the grave Ahmad and others reported from Abu Said Al Khudri that the Prophet said: "O! People This Ummah (Muslim community) will be put to test in their graves. When the person is buried and after his companions leave him, an angel carrying a hammer in his hand make this person sit then says to him: What do you say about this man? If this person is a believer he replies: I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger. He (the angel) says: "You are right". Then he opens a door to the Hell Fire and says to him: "This was your place in Hell had you disbelieved in Allah but now that you have believed this is your place and he opens a door to Paradise. Then the dead person intends to go to it. But the angel tells him: "Settle down in here" Then his (the dead person's) grave becomes more spacious.
But if the dead person is a disbeliever or a hypocrite (the angel) says to him: "What do you say about this man?" The disbeliever says: "I do not know. I heard people saying something". The angel then says: "May you not know, succeed or follow the right path". Then a door to Paradise is opened to him. Then the angel says: "This is your place had you become a believer now that you have become a disbeliever, Allah has changed it to this and a door is opened to Hell. Then the angel hits him with the hammer a hit that is heard by everybody except the Jinns and the Human beings". Then some of the companions said to the Prophet: "O Prophet of Allah. Nobody could sit calm while an angel is standing above him carrying a hammer". The Prophet said: { Allâh will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands}[14:27].