Confused about Janaza prayer for his grandfather

• Fatwa Date:29-8-2001 - Jumaadaa Al-Aakhir 10, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

I hope, you will answer this question as soon as possible, because the matter is very serious and it is tormenting me very much. This morning we buried my grandfather. When praying Janaza prayer I realized that the Imam did not recite Surah al-Fatiha (he couldn't have read it so quickly!). Besides, there was almost no time left for me to say prayers for the dead and the living (after the third and forth Takbir) as it is Sunnah of our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Do you think I must repeat the Janaza prayer on my own (bearing in mind that nobody will pray with me because they can't pray) or I should leave the matter as it is. Please, give me Islamicly proven reply as this matter is causing me very much trouble.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. According to Sunnah the procedure of funeral prayer is as follows: Sura al-Fatiha should be recited after the first Takbeer, after second Takbeer the blessings on the Prophet should be invoked and then pray for forgiveness of the deceased after third Takbeer, after fourth Takbeer one may make Dua' for all Muslim or may not. Finally, he should end his prayer with salutation ASSALAMU ALAIKUM. Some scholars are of the opinion that recital of the Sura al-Fatiha is an obligation and the prayer without it is considered null. While some others of the opinion that funeral prayer should consist of Praising Allah, invoking blessing upon the Prophet and a prayer (Dua') for forgiveness of the deceased. The correct opinion is that Sura al-Fatiha should be recited since it is the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessing be upon him). Moreover the funeral prayer is also a prayer, so the Sura al-Fatiha in funeral prayer should be recited as recited in other prayers. Therefore, your Imam might have recited the Fatiha rapidly or he might hold the opinion of those who did not recite Sura al-Fatiha. Know that making Dua' for the deceased is Sunnah and it is not an integral part of the prayer. Anyway, repeating prayer on the dead person is not necessary. May Allah comfort you and bless the dead person. Allah knows best.