Widow reserves plot next to deceased husband

Question

My father passed away 10 days ago and has been buried with Muslims in USA. My mother wants to reserve a place beside my father's grave so she can be buried next to him when she dies. Is that allowed in Islam?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
If the questioner means that his mother wants to be buried beside the grave of his father, then it is permissible.
There is no harm in reserving a certain place where one be buried after death. The evidence for this is the practice of the Prophet, as reported in a Hadith, that when Uthman Ibn Mazun died, the Prophet ordered a man to bring him a stone, but he was unable to carry it. The Prophet got up and carried it and placed it at the head of the grave saying: "I am marking my brother's grave with it, and I shall bury beside it those of my family who die".
All the above rules are applicable only if the mother is Muslim, otherwise she should not be buried with Muslims.