Making up for missed prayer

Question

1) During the month of Sha'baan I was in great mental and physical disturbance due to the life I was living and my friend advised me to seek help from Allah, and I did so and help came. Now my mental and physical state are fine. But I'm experiencing another problem now, neglect of my prayers. I don't want to do so, but there times when I find myself missing my prayers. I need guidance.2) Someone told me that for all the time I missed praying I have to do Qadha, but he failed to tell me how to do this Qadha for I have missed prayers for so many years. Do I just start praying until I'm tired or do I pray Qadha during that particular period of Salah that I have missed, e.g. early morning prayer with Qadha for early morning.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

One has to make up all the missed prayers according to his capacity till he makes sure that he has performed all the missed prayers.
If the missed prayers are too many and he can not make them up at once or in short period then he has to perform them as convenient to him. He has to devote himself in making up the missed prayers as long as he does not face any physical harm, such as becoming weaker or contracting a disease, or a monetary harm, such as failure to manage his worldly matters etc. (See al-Mughni for Ibn Qudamah).
Some other scholars are of the opinion that he has to make up the two missed prayers with each obligatory prayer, i.e. he has to pray with Zuhr prayer the missed Zuhr and Asr prayer and with Asr prayer the missed Maghrib and Isha prayer and with Maghrib prayer the missed Fajr and Zuhr prayer and so on till he completes making up all the missed prayers.
We advise this questioning brother to turn towards Allah in sincere repentance, to attend the congregational prayers, to memorize the Qur'an as much as possible, to learn the rulings of Sharia and to be with pious people.
Know that Allah forgives all sins except committing Shirk. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with Him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, …}[4:48].