Permanent birth control

Question

I need to know about birth control (permanent contraception). Is it permissible for the following reasons? A) My wife is weak (40-kg. weight) and suffer from many diseases during pregnancy period.B) We don't have our own home yet (we live in my uncle's home).C) I am 32 years old only and now we have 3 kids. We are poor.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Brother questioner has to know that Allah, The Great and Al-Mighty, has guarantees livelihood to all creatures. He Says (interpretation of meaning): {And no (moving) living creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allâh. …}[11:6] He also Says: {And so many a moving (living) creature there is, that carries not its own provision! Allâh provides for it and for you. …}[29:60].
Allah has also prevented us from doing what polytheists do such as killing their children lest they become poor and needy. He Says: {And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. …}[17:31].
He has also dishonored the polytheist due to such an above-mentioned action, and told them that it is an action of the Satan. He Says: {And so to many of the Mushrikûn (polytheists) their (Allâh's so­called) "partners" have made fair-seeming the killing of their children, in order to lead them to their own destruction and cause confusion in their religion. And if Allâh had willed they would not have done so. So leave them alone with their fabrications.}[6:137].
So, a Muslim is not allowed to think wrongly of Allah as the polytheists do; he is required to rely on Allah and to trust in His Promise. He Says: {And marry those among you who are single (i.e. a man who has no wife and the woman who has no husband) and (also marry) the Sâlihûn (pious, fit and capable ones) of your (male) slaves and maid-servants (female slaves). If they be poor, Allâh will enrich them out of His Bounty. …}[24:32] Also He Says: {And enjoin As-Salât (the prayer) on your family, and be patient in offering them [i.e. the Salât (prayers)]. We ask not of you a provision (i.e. to give Us something: money, etc.); We provide for you. And the good end (i.e. Paradise) is for the Muttaqûn.}[20:132].
In reality, there are so many Qur'anic verses and Prophetic Hadith that state the above-mentioned point.
Based on the above-said, brother the questioner has to know that contraception is Haram, i.e. preventing conception due to false reasons such as poverty or unavailability of housing. This way of thinking is a devilish one.
As for your wife's weakness and becoming subject to illnesses due to pregnancy, we say that if pregnancy causes unbearable confirmed trouble, she is allowed to use some easy means to stop pregnancy for some period. For example, she can start with contraceptive tablets, which is the easiest method. She is not allowed to use a loop as long as there is another substitutive method, since seeing/exposing the Awrah (private parts and loins) is Haram.
The above ruling applies only when there is an unbearable hardship in case of pregnancy. For sure, troubles of pregnancy are natural and normal for pregnant women.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… His mother bears him with hardship and she brings him forth with hardship, …}[46:15] He also Says: {…His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, …}[31:14].

Search Fatwa

You can search for fatwa through many choices