How to stop a Muslim from watching movies of bad influence

Question

If an ignorant Muslim brother is watching Hindu or English movies that have music women not dress properly, much Kufr and many things against Islam, how should I stop it? Do I have to use my hand, fist or tongue or heart? If it is hand, how can I use my hand to stop it? Can I break the tapes or video player or T.V secretly so he wouldn't know it's done by me? If I or his parents advice him to practice according to our religion (Islam) and if he doesn't act what should I do to stop it? This effect to my family (4 years old daughter and my wife) whom I am trying to tell to practice true Islam according to Qur'an and Sunnah and watching these movies are wrong. They don't have a strong faith yet. May Allah guide them to the straight path? Could you tell me what to do in a situation like this?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Watching films that contain prohibited actions is Haram. So, in this situation, you have to do your duty concerning enjoining what is good, forbidding what is bad with your hand; if you cannot do that, then with your tongue; if you cannot, then you should abhor an evil action in your heart. Furthermore, you have to do according the above-stated order: start with tongue, hand, etc.
Know that damaging such films depends on the ruling that states: The duty of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is bad should not result in a major abominable action or ever giving rise to another vice. In other words, if such a work is replaced by another ignoble action, similar or greater, then it is impermissible to spoil such films. For example, one may - in such a state - buy more and worse. Here, it is better to resort to advice with kindness and wisdom, since removing love to such films by force will be fruitless let alone giving rise to another vice. If you can spoil them in secret, without possible giving rise to another vice, then it will be good.
As for your wife and children, it is your duty to do every possible thing to keep their religion in a safe state and to avoid them entering the Hell-fire, since you are responsible for them on the Day of Judgment. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, …} [66:6].
So, you are to stop giving them money that may help them in disobedience, since you will be held responsible for your wealth, gaining and spending.
Know that your children will be opponents on the Day of Reckoning if you don't guide and direct them towards the true religion, and then, to help them.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…Verily, among your wives and your children there are enemies for you (i.e. may stop you from the obedience of Allâh), therefore beware of them! …} [64:14].
Thus, you are to prevent your children from watching such films. In addition, you have to force your brother - if he refuses to accept your advice - to watch such films in his private room.