Evil eye and belief in zodiac signs

Question

One of my very good friends told me that I have cast a bad eye on her daughter and that means that I am jealous of her. She thinks this because I called to inquire about her daughter's health and some time after my call the baby had some breathing problems. Please note that this problem is hereditary in the baby since birth and has happened many times earlier also. She was not well during that time, and her mother was also worried about her health the night before that. This is the reason I called next morning to inquire about her health.I tried to explain her that this is wrong and I am not jealous of her daughter or her family. I went to her home to explain this to her but she did not open the door saying that she loves her family (implying that if I come to her home some harm may befall them). I spoke to my friend's elder sister so that she could make her understand but she also said things like " I warned my sister not to be friends with you because your birth sign does not match hers". I want to know your opinion as to:-What is evil eye as per Qur'an and Sunnah?How can you blame someone that he is responsible for it?Is it necessary for the person who has cast a bad eye to be Jealous also?Is it right to cut off your relations saying that because you have cast a bad eye you are jealous and not allow that person event to enter your home?Is it right to believe in zodiac signs and not only believe, to advise others to make or break friendships guided by the birth signs?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Imam Muslim narrated in his Sahih that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "The influence of an evil eye is a fact; if anything would precede the destiny it would be the influence of an evil eye" . The purpose of Hadith is that the influence of an evil eye is a fact. Sometimes it might be due to jealousy or sometime it might be due to amazement; when one looks at something strange and does not say: May Allah bless you, instead looks at it astonishingly then his eye infects it.
The Shari'a provides the guidelines regarding the matter of evil eye, some of them are as follows:
1) Using legal Ruqiyah (Qur'anic verses and Prophetic supplication) before the influence of the evil eye. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) used to recite this invocation over Hassan and Hussain (Radiya Allahu Anhuma). (I commend you two to the protection of Allah's perfect words from every devil, vermin, and every evil eye)". [Narrated by Imam Tirmizi and its basic is in Sahih Bukhari ]. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Say: "I seek refuge with (Allâh) the Lord of the daybreak, from the evil of what He has created; and from the evil of the darkening (night) as it comes with its darkness; (or the moon as it sets or goes away), and from the evil of the witchcrafts when they blow in the knots, 'and from the evil of the envier when he envies."} [113:1-5].
2) If one sees something impressive he should say: (This is that which Allah has willed, there is no power except with Allah) or (May Allah send blessing upon him).
3) Reciting Qur'an or the authentic supplication after having the influence of an evil eye.
4) If the person who caused harm by his evil eye is known, he may be asked to make Wudu and then the influenced person should take a bath from that water.
It is not permissible to blame someone of causing harm by his/her evil eye, as it is compulsory for the one who knows without any doubt that he was the reason in causing harm to co-operate with the influenced person to get rid of his illness.
It is not permissible to have doubts about people and to cut relations with them based upon suspicions and devilish insinuations.
Believing in a horoscope and relying on it is not permissible. The one who deals with it is considered Kafir since he claims having the knowledge of unseen, while no one knows it except Allah alone.
Finally, it is not permissible to cut the relation with others depending on a horoscope. In fact, it is a devilish trick to cause mischief among people. We are ordered not to follow Satan. We ask Allah to give good health for you and us.