Responding to Christian claims about Jesus

Question

I am a new Muslim and what I wanted to ask is what do you say when Christians tell me that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ? Sometimes I just stay quiet because I don't know how to respond; at other times I say that we only believe Jesus to be a Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). Any suggestions that I could use?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Christians, in the past and present, have been saying that the only way to enter Heaven is through Jesus (peace be upon him).
So, when Christians of Najran (a city in Saudi Arabia) and Jews of al-Madina al-Munawarah (City the Radiant - the city of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)) debated each other in front of Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and each party claimed that only Christians/Jews will be the inhabitants of Paradise. Here, Allah, The Great and Almighty, has sent down the following verses, censuring and scolding them:
{…" And they say, none shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian these are their own desires. Say (O Muhammad  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention )), "Produce your proof if you are truthful."} [2:111].
Then, He stated that everyone who surrenders to Allah's Will, acts sincerely in accordance with His Orders and has a true belief will enter Paradise. He, The Great and Almighty, Says: {Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allâh (i.e. follows Allâh's Religion of Islâmic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin (good-doer i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allâh's sake only without any show off or to gain praise or fame, etc., and in accordance with the Sunnah of Allâh's Messenger Muhammad  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ) ) then his reward is with his Lord (Allâh), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.} [2:112].
Thus, our brother, the inquirer becomes acquainted with the fact that the Christians'/Jews' allegation of being the only people who will enter Paradise is false and void. At the same time, such an allegation is a form of wishes and dreams that are baseless and ungrounded from the Shari'a/intellectual point of view.
Anyway, the only upright way that Allah, The Great and Almighty, accepts is to believe in all Messengers and Prophets without any distinction between one or another.
In this vein, Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Say (O Muhammad SAW): "We believe in Allâh and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), Ya'qûb (Jacob) and Al-Asbât [the twelve sons of Ya'qûb (Jacob)] and what was given to Mûsa (Moses), 'Iesa (Jesus) and the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between one another among them and to Him (Allâh) we have submitted (in Islâm)."} [3:84].
Finally, we advise our brother, the inquirer, to avoid such a discussion and argument with non-Muslims till you become versed in Shari'a knowledge, capable to produce irrefutable evidence and cogency so that you can make their suspicions and doubts ineffective, null and void.
We ask Allah to help all of us to be steady on the straight path of faith.