Struggling to maintain prayer

• Fatwa Date:16-6-2002 - Rabee' Al-Aakhir 6, 1423
  • Rating:

Question

I became Muslim about five years ago now, from the outset I have been having problems establishing my prayer. I know how to perform them and understand the concept of having Khushoo and even sometimes I felt as though the whole world and everything in it meant nothing during my prayer. Yet still even after that I become so lazy in performing them that I stop. I understand that between a Muslim and a Kafir is the prayer. Each time I stop I get more disgusted with myself which makes it harder every time to go back. I love Allah and His messenger and the companions and I fear what will happen to me with Allah. What should I do to put an end to this? Am I still considered a Muslim? Do I have to take my Shahadah again? I stay at home with my children all the time and I have a husband. I have lots of books and tapes on prayer, Tawhid and Aqeedah and my husband is very good to me, all though he does not know I don't pray sometimes. I feel so bad, what should do? Please help I am trying not to despair of the Mercy of Allah, as I know this is a great sin.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

So long as you know that prayer is an important pillar of Islam and that abandoning it is Kufr (disbelief), then you should put forward to yourself the following question:
Who is stopping and obstructing me from performing my prayer? And you will find the answer immediately without delay or doubt, that it is the Shaitan, since he is the enemy of the believers, as Allah said: {Surely, Shaitân (Satan) is an enemy to you, so take (treat) him as an enemy. He only invites his Hizb (followers) that they may become the dwellers of the blazing Fire.} [35: 6].
The Shaitan has many manoeuvres and methods in approaching the son of Adam and leading him astray, as Allah (SWT) said: {(Iblîs) said: "Because You have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your Straight Path. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e. they will not be dutiful to You)."} [7: 16-17].
If this is the case, then how can it come across a sane person's mind, let alone a believer to chase the trails of the footsteps of his enemy who wants to deceive him and entrap him in the Hell-Fire?
Therefore, the means you should to save yourself from his traps and deception is to seek refuge in Allah from the Shaitan, and then to seek Allah's Help against the Shaitan, as Allah said: {So when you want to recite the Qur'ân, seek refuge with Allâh from Shaitân (Satan), the outcast (the cursed one). Verily! He has no power over those who believe and put their trust only in their Lord (Allâh). His power is only over those who obey and follow him (Satan), and those who join partners with Him (Allâh).} [16: 98-100].
I advise you to make continuous remembrance of Allah, and morning and evening supplications as well as the supplications that are to be said before going to sleep and when wakening up in the morning.
Furthermore, I also advise you to listen to audio tapes and attend talks where one is encouraged and inspired to keep steadfast in performing his prayer punctually, as well as taking righteous sisters as your company since they could be great help to you in boosting your Iman and motivating you.
I would recommend that you inform your husband about this since he may give you a helping hand and some solutions.
And Allah knows best.