Hanging pictures in the home

• Fatwa Date:27-7-2002 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 18, 1423
  • Rating:

Question

I became a Muslim about 3 months ago. Please can you explain the reason why we are not supposed to have pictures up in our home? I can understand if the pictures are of 'Idols' i.e. someone famous etc, but can't understand why we cannot have pictures of ourselves and our families on the wall, as we are not worshipping them like we would usually worship for, example a 'pop star'.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

We pray to Allah, The Exalted, to grant all of us success and steadfastness on the upright path of Islam.
As for illegality of hanging pictures at home, it is reported from Maimuna (Radiya Allahu Anha) that: "Angels do not enter a house where there is a dog or a picture" . [Reported by Imams al-Bukhari and Muslim ].
Imam Muslim's narration reads: "Angels do not enter the house in which there are pictures" .
This means that such an action constitutes violation and disobedience to Divine Orders.
The presence of Angels manifests Allah's Mercy. So, the house in which there is not Allah's Mercy is not good, in itself and its present state.
In addition, having pictures up is a form of imitation of those who ennoble pictures and hang them.
Thus, there is no objection if a picture is not to be exalted like natural scenes or not respected as those pictures on mattresses or pillows.
Here, we draw you attention to the fact that you may not glorify pictures, but it is not sure that those who will come after you will glorify these pictures or not!!