Aunt sees souls of the deceased

• Fatwa Date:5-5-2003 - Rabee' Al-Awwal 4, 1424
  • Rating:

Question

My aunt says that she can see the blessed souls of the friends of Allah. Is this possible? My grandfather died five years ago. The aunt says that my grandfather comes and talks to her. She is quite serious. Please tell me if this might be true or are those creatures seen by her evil Jinns? If they are Jinns, what is the solution for this?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. After the soul separates from the body it is transferred to al-Barzakh. This soul never returns to this world. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Until, when death comes to one of them (those who join partners with Allâh), he says: "My Lord! Send me back, "So that I may do good in that which I have left behind!" No! It is but a word that he speaks, and behind them is Barzakh (a barrier) until the Day when they will be resurrected.}[23: 99-100]. Mujahid explained Barzakh that it is: 'a screen between the dead person and returning to this life'. Ibn Zayed said: what is meant here is: 'And in front of them there is a barrier that prevents them from returning'. al-Tirmizi narrated in a sound Hadith that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said to Jabir: "O! Jabir, why are you upset? Jabir replied: 'I remembered my father who was killed in the battle of Uhud and who left children and debts'. Thereupon the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Don't you want me to bring you glad tidings about what Allah allotted to your father?" Jabir said: 'Of course, yes, O! Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) of Allah'. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Allah never Talked to anybody except from behind a screen. (This time) He returned life to your father and talked to him directly saying: "O! My servant Wish anything, I offer it to you". He (the father) said: 'O! My Lord to revive me again so that I am killed for your Sake another time'. Allah, The Almighty, said: "It was already predestined that whoever dies never returns to this worldly life". Then the following verse was revealed. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Think not of those who are killed in the Way of Allâh as dead. …}[3: 169]. From the above you can know that what your aunt claims, i.e. that she sees the spirits of righteous people - is wrong. In fact what she sees, if she is right, is but a Jinni (devil) that comes in the image of your grandfather. So, she should multiply reciting the last three chapters of the Qur'an and should perform Ruqiya to protect herself from Jinns. For more about Ruqiya, please read Fatwa: 81559 and 81667.                                                                                Allah knows best.