Shopping before birth of child and religious activities after

• Fatwa Date:14-6-2003 - Rabee' Al-Aakhir 14, 1424
  • Rating:

Question

I am giving birth at end of July and some people says that it is Sunnah to buy things for the baby after the birth. Is it true? Please explain in detail. In Canada we need to buy car seat in advance. What should we do in this case? After the child birth, am I allowed to recite Qur'an and do Tasbeeh (Zikr) morning and evening without touching Qur'an and am I allowed to teach Qur'an and do Da'wah like teaching women Islamic matters in learning circle at home, because I do learning circle in my home at regular basis.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. We do not know any evidence which approves buying some things for the expected child before or after his birth. But there is no objection as long as it is within the limits of Shariah and provided there is no squandering or extravagance. Our advice for you is to fear Allah and apply the rules relative to the newborn. First, right after his birth, Azan should be called in his right ear and Iqama in his left one. After that, his hair should be cut and the value of its weight in silver should be given to the poor and needy. Then, Aqiqah should be done for him. He should be given a nice name. Finally, the newborn male should be circumcised. As for your second question, it is lawful for the woman in her confinement period to keep on saying Dhikr, reading Qur'an without touching Musshaf, teaching Shariah knowledge and performing Dawa'h. May Allah make you continue doing the good and avoiding the evil. Allah knows best.