New convert wants to help her Buddhist family

Question

I am a new convert to Islam. Allah guided me. My questions:
1) Can I take off my Hijab before my family members?
2) Can I pray in my mother's house where there are pictures, stones that she worships?
3) Can I stay in her home and cook Halal food for her to eat? I have a plan to return to my country to do Da'wah with my family. My mother is Buddhist.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. You may remove your Niqab (face veil) in front of your family members who are Maharim (unmarriageable relatives) if it does not lead to any temptation. Maharim here means those men who are permanently forbidden to you in marriage. Know that some Maharim are also of weak faith so one should not unveil herself in front of them. However, if they are relatives but not among the Maharim, such as the maternal or paternal cousins, then you should not expose yourself to them. You must not marry anyone, as long as he is non-Muslim. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them…}[60:10]. Performing the prayers, where there are pictures or stones that are worshipped, is not desirable. So, it is better to perform the prayers in a place free from such things. However, it is merely not desirable, so the prayers performed in that place are correct especially, if there is a need for that. In addition, you may stay in your mother's home and may cook for them since being good with one's parents is strongly emphasized in Shariah even if they are non-Muslims. Finally, we advise you to be kind with you parents and serve them as much as possible and try your best to convey the message of Islam to your relatives with wisdom and good manners. Allah knows best.