Al-Haram Mosque and the restriction of Nawafil prayer times

Question

There are some forbidden and Makrooh times for prayers. Are these restrictions valid for the Masjid Al-Haram (Makkah) also? Can I pray Nafil/Sunnah prayer after Asr in the Masjid Al-Haram?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. In al-Haram Mosque you can pray as many Nawafil (supererogatory prayers) as you wish during the times in which praying Nawafil is forbidden in other places. The evidence for this rule is the two following Ahadith. Ahmad , al-Baihaqi , al-Daraqutni , Ibn Hibban and Ibn Khuzaima reported that Abu Dhar took the ring of the Kaaba gate and said: I heard the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) saying: No prayer is to be performed after Asr until the sun sets nor after Fajr until the sun rises except in Makkah except in Makkah. al-Albani mentioned this Hadith in his book Silsilah al- Sahiaha. The second evidence is the Hadith reported by al-Baihaqi and Ibn Abi Shaibah from Abdullah Ibn Babah who said: I saw Abu al-Darda circumambulate around the Kaaba after Asr then prayed two Rak'ah. Some people mentioned that to him. He replied: "It (Kaaba) is not similar to other places." This is the Shafi'e opinion. But the majority of scholars are of the opinion that the ruling concerning al-Haram Mosque as regards Nawafil is the same as that of other mosques. Allah knows best.