How to use one's spare time

Question

In Islam time is very important and we should use it as well as possible. I have much spare time and do not know what to do. What can you recommend me, which activities I can do to use this spare time without making God angry about these activities?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The Muslim youngster should know that the free time is a grace bestowed on him by Allah. He should also know that will be asked about it on the Day of Resurrection. Our Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: Many people are prejudiced by two blessings: Health and Free-time. [Narrated by al-Bukhari ] and our Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: Every person will remain standing the Day of Resurrection until he is asked about Four (things); of which he told: 'How he spent his life'. And in another narration: On what he frayed his youth. Our Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: Take advantage of five before five; of which He told: One's free-time before getting busy, one's youth hood before getting old. [Narrated by al-Hakim ] And, our Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: God will shelter in His shade seven (types of people) on the Day of Resurrection. of which he counted: A youth that grew up worshipping Allah. [Narrated by al-Bukhari and Muslim ] A Muslim youth should know that 'Time is his capital and if he does not make good use of it he will regret that. It is not good for a Muslim youth to have leisure time in his life. Instead, he should utilize his time on what benefits him in this world as well as in the Hereafter. And of these the benefits we cite: to learn Qur'an by heart, to attend lessons of Qur'an, to memorize the Prophet's (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) Ahadith, to learn more of the religious (knowledge), to visit the good scholars, to benefit (read) from the Islamic news papers and from the Islamic cassettes, to participate in religious activities, such as summer camps, picnics, etc. The youth person should organize his time and make a program for himself that he/she follows.