View By Subject

9 fatwas

  • Handling money of sister who spends recklessly Date: 2-1-2018

    Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh. A sister is asking a question regarding Zakah. My mother died a few years ago, leaving behind some money for my unmarried sister, who was not married, and my mother's intention was to leave some money for her so that when she gets married, she can use that money. However, I realized after some time that.. More

  • Sister assuming legal guardianship of minor or retarded brother Date: 28-2-2017

    Assalaamu alaykum. I have one daughter and one son. My son is mentally retarted. My question is: can my daughter be the guardian of my son after my death, or should one of my brothers or nephews be his guardian? .. More

  • Ruling on placing stingy old father under Hajr Date: 3-9-2015

    There is a man who is over 80 years old and has a lot of money. His children say that he rarely pays Zakah and they live in poverty, in dire need to meet their families’ demands. He does not help them except by giving them a little money or by mortgage. For sure, he is extremely stingy, even towards himself, to the degree that he lives like very poor.. More

  • Permissibility to place mentally ill person under Hajr Date: 3-9-2015

    What is the valid way in the sharia to preserve the wealth of a father who has relatively lost his mental powers and does not know the value of things? After a while he forgets what he said. His children are confused and do not want to dispose of his property without his permission. They do not want to annoy him if they disobey him. He is a 92-year-old.. More

  • Placing a father under guardianship Date: 2-2-2014

    Is it permissible for the children to place their father under guardianship? The righteous children and their mother fear the irresponsible disposal of the father in properties which he jointly owns with his children, but they do not possess a legal document to prove that joint ownership. The father uses this as a point of pressure. It should be known.. More

  • Guardianship over a mentally deranged person and benefiting from his property Date: 19-7-2011

    I have a brother who is mentally deranged and the government grants him a monthly allowance. As my father is dead, can my mother spend this money, noting that he stays in a psychiatric hospital and she needs the money? The government also gives her an allowance for being a widow. We have heard that she is not allowed to take anything from his money.. More

  • A judge may place a spendthrift under guardianship Date: 17-7-2011

    My husband is a private sector employee and he is a spendthrift. His work is our only source of sustenance. He saves nothing although he has two sons. I have thought of saving some of his money for future needs. I have tried many times to persuade him to save some money for the children but my efforts have been in vain. What is the Sharee'ah ruling.. More

  • Bankrupcy and Islam Date: 9-7-2003

    If a person becomes bankrupt, must he pay his debts? What is the ruling regarding this in Islam?.. More

  • Leaving inheritance to girl who committed an illegal act Date: 13-4-2002

    In relation to my previous Question No.: 18481 (a girl of 19 years old who married against her parents will was a crook) is it possible to leave to her a share of inheritance but appoint a guardian, like an uncle, to supervise her spending?.. More