She fears having affected someone with the evil eye
Fatwa No: 257014


Assalamu alaikom, I would like to know how does one repent from possibly afflicting someone with the evil eye? I am feeling an extreme sense of guilt because I feel that I might have caused some harm to a specific sister.I myself have a difficulty getting married due to a medical problem and when I saw this sister ,she was pregnant with her 4th child in her last months of pregnancy,so I remember thinking to myself "people have it so easy unlike me" but I never wished any evil upon her.Later on,her baby died while she was giving birth to him,due to some complications.Could this be because of my negative thoughts? I never meant to harm anyone..Please advice me on what to do.I am very worried and sad about this.JAK


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

First of all, you should know that the child dying when his mother was giving birth to him was not necessarily due to you affecting him with evil eye. So, do not worry about this matter and do not let it be your major concern as it may divert your determination from achieving what benefits you in the worldly life and the Hereafter.

We would like to point out for you the two following points:

1-When a Muslim sees something that he likes; he should invoke Allaah's blessings upon it. This has been previously explained in Fataawa 33932 and 98769.

Also, for more information on how to treat the disease of envy, please refer to Fatwa 86114.

2-Marriage is part of the person' provision, and a Muslim woman will get what Allaah has predestined for her thereof. So, she has to be patient and utilize the available means, such as supplication and looking for a husband and even proposing herself to men who wish to get married. There is nothing wrong with this behavior provided that the relevant regulations are met. For more information, please refer to Fataawa 82471 and 83577.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa