Wants to explain polygyny to his non-Muslim wife

• Fatwa Date:21-8-1999 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 10, 1420
  • Rating:

Question

I am a Lebanese Muslim. How can I explain and support the permission in Islam of being married several times for my European wife? Through the text of the Holy Qu'ran we understand clearly that a believer will get several nice women in Paradise. Do women also get several nice men? Should my wife encourage me to be an unbeliever ?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.  

I appears from your question that your wife is a non-Muslim. Therefore, before you explain to her that you are prmitted to marry a second wife, you should call her to Islam which is the only true religion whoever accepts it, will enter the paradise; whoever doesn’t accept it, will go to Hell. Allah says, (Interpretation of the meaning): {Verily Islam is the religion of Allah}. Allah says (Interpretation of the meaning): {O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a fire (HELL) whose fuel is human beings and stones}.

Explain to her the merits of Islam: its easiness, magnanimity, and that it suits every person in every place. Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “If Allah guides even one person through you that is better for you than possessing a whole lot of red camels”. If she is encouraging you to become an unbeliever, why do you not do the same and call her to Islam. So. fear Almighty Allah in yourself and in your family.

We ask Allah to open her heart for Islam, and bless her by Islam. Indeed He is the All-Hearer and He responds to the supplication of the one who supplicates to Him.

On the other hand, if a woman enters Paradise, she will be for her husband if he is from the people of paradise as well. If he is not among the inhabitants of Paradise, then she will marry another man from the inhabitants of paradise or that Allah will make her a wife of whoever He wills.      

Allah Knows Best.