Refusing marriage proposals

• Fatwa Date:3-8-2000 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 3, 1421
  • Rating:

Question

When I went to my country a couple of years ago, men would propose to me because I have Canadian citizenship. Every one of them wanted to marry me in the hopes that I would bring them to Canada. Since I found this to be very offensive, I told everyone that I would not marry anyone who does not have a passport of an English country. Is this fair?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
The correct standard for choosing a husband is his religion and character everything else comes after next and is less important. The Prophet said: "If one of you proposed to a woman and you like his religion and character, you should marry him if you do not (do so) marry him, there will be trouble
and deprivation". One man consulted a Scholar from the good ancestors about whom he should
marry his daughter to i.e. the ideal husband for her? He said:' Marry her to one who fears Allah. If he loves her he will respect her, if he dislikes her he will fear Allah in dealing with her'. We suggest you to follow the same advice. You should make the religion and character the criteria to choose a
husband. If you do so, you will live a happy conjugal life. As for the passport of a person, it should not be put forward as a pre-condition for accepting one or refuse him. On the other hand, it is
desirable to marry a person who can take you from the country where you are living to a Muslim country, not the one whose purpose is totally opposite. A Muslim does not live in a non-Muslim country except for a dire necessity. The Prophet said: " The fire of Muslims should not be seen with the fire of Mushrikeen". In another Hadith the Prophet said: "I am exempt from any Muslim who lives among polytheists". This is because a Muslim faces much temptations and deviation in such countries. No doubt that you are aware of these. No one can be rid of them except the one that Allah protects. Please refer to fatwa: 81142 and 81464. Allah knows best.