Young doctor fears spinsterhood unless she marries uneducated cousin

• Fatwa Date:11-9-2001 - Jumaadaa Al-Aakhir 23, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

I'm a Muslim girl and I have problem and I hope you can help me. My cousin wants to marry me and he is good boy but he is not educated at all and I'm a doctor, from my side I don't see him lower than me because I know that all of us are similar and nobody is better than the other only by his work but I'm afraid that he will feel jealous and this will make problem in the future and I'm afraid if I said 'no' this will be the last chance for me because I'm 27 years old now and in my country I'm very old. So I want to know if I can marry him and this will not cause problems in the future.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
If you accept this man suitable for you as far as his religion, lineage and conduct are concerned then you should accept his proposal to marry you. You should not miss this chance for marriage because of suspicions about the unknown in the future. Problems that happen in your marriage life, with your husband may be solved through admonishing and exhorting each other. The chance of marriage may not come again to you as mentioned in your question.
Anyway, you should be certain of the good conduct of this person and his adherence to Shariah. Also make sure that he is well-informed about the nature of your work and your activities. Let him promise you before marrying that he will not object to your performing your work or interfere in it as long as it does not contradict the Shariah.