Muslim eating or drinking while standing

• Fatwa Date:13-9-2001 - Jumaadaa Al-Aakhir 25, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

What is the ruling on a Muslim drinking/eating while standing? Is it Makrooh, Haram or what?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

There are sound Hadith that tell Muslims not to eat or drink while standing. Muslim reported from Anas Ibn Malik that he said: "The Prophet told (Muslims) not to drink while standing up". When Anas was asked about eating while standing up he replied by saying: "that is much worse".
There are also other sound Hadith that prove the lawfulness of drinking and eating while standing up. Al Bukhari reported that Ali came to the gate of the courtyard (of the Mosque) and drank (water) while he was standing and said, "Some people dislike to drink while standing, but I saw the Prophet doing (drinking water) as you have seen me doing now."
Al Tirmizi reported in a sound Hadith from Ibn Omar that he said: "We used to eat, during the era of the Prophet, while walking and we used to drink while standing up".
The scholars have different opinions about this issue. The most sound one is that whoever eats or drinks while standing up does not commit a sin but it is preferable to avoid doing so.