Non-Muslim loves Muslimah

• Fatwa Date:26-1-2002 - Thul-Qi'dah 13, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

I am non-Muslim and in love with a Muslim girl who is my relative. Tell me what in Islam I must look into and give priority.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Islam is the religion of Allah; He has chosen it for His slaves and does not accept any other religion. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion.}[5:3]. He also Says: {And whoever seeks a religion other than Islâm, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.}[3:85]. All the other religions are abrogated by Islam. Accepting Islam becomes strongly needed since the previous Divine books are distorted.
Therefore, everyone should accept Islam to worship Allah. The Prophet said: "By Him in whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be one of the denizens of the Hell-Fire". [Reported by Imam Muslim]
Islam assures humanity the success and happiness in both the worldly life and life in the Hereafter. Then for what you are waiting? Hasten toward Islam and declare it as your religion by saying:
(There is none worthy of being worshipped except Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger). And then adhere to the rulings of Sharia. By doing so you may marry that girl. Before accepting Islam you are not permitted to marry a Muslim girl. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {…they are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them …}[60:10].
Most probably this girl would be a reason to guide you to the truth and to save you from the Hell-Fire.
Finally, we mention here the story of Umm Sulaim (Radiya Allahu Anha) who was an intelligent, beautiful and pious lady and embraced Islam. Abu Talha proposed marriage to her, yet he was non-Muslim and offered her Mahar (bridal money) to take as she wished. She said: 'A person like you would not be rejected but the barrier is that you are a non-Muslim and I am a Muslim. So if you embrace Islam that would be my Mahar and I do not demand anything else'. Thereupon, she explained Islam to him and as a result he accepted Islam and proclaimed: 

Her Mahar was more valuable than anything else. Because of Umm Sulaim (Radiya Allahu Anha) Abu Talha found the truth and saved himself from the Hell-Fire.
Finally, we advise you to read about Islam as much as possible. In fact, you may find its teachings lighten your soul and open your heart. We eagerly await news that you accepted Islam. We ask Allah to guide you to the truth and to bless you and us to do what pleases Him.