Traveling by flight without Mahram

• Fatwa Date:22-4-2004 - Rabee' Al-Awwal 3, 1425
  • Rating:

Question

I am newly married. I am working in Saudi Arabia as an Engineer. I got my family Visa to bring my wife here. I took two months vacation instead of one month due to marriage. Now company is not ready to allow me to go on short vacation to bring my wife. In this case my wife can travel from Delhi Airport to Jeddah Airport (5.5Hrs Journey) without Mahram. Financially at this point of time I am not well to bear expenses for any other Mahram of her for Visa and travel to Saudi. Please respond to me at earliest.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

It is not permissible for a woman to travel without being accompanied by her husband or a Mahram, regardless of the distance or the period of a journey. Every journey, which is considered travelling, a woman should not go on without accompanying a Mahram. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "A woman must not travel unless a Mahram is with her". [Reported by Imams Bukhari and Muslim]
There is a consensus of opinion among Muslim scholars that travel of a Muslim woman without a Mahram is forbidden. They differ only concerning her journey for Hajj and Umrah or Hijrah from a non-Muslim country or escaping from a prison.
Imam Ibn Hajar wrote in his book al-Fatah: 'Muslim scholars have deduced from the above Hadith the prohibition of a woman's journey without being accompanied by a Mahram, and they are agreed on this issue. They differ in the permissibility of her travel without Mahram only for Hajj, Umrah, or making Hijrah from a non-Muslim country'.
Everyone who considers the dangers in her travelling without Mahram such as her sitting beside an alien man or emergency landing of the plane in any country or its delay or the woman herself may face illness or exhaustion and be compelled to stay at any airport etc., whoever considers all these strong possibilities, no doubt, he realizes the great wisdom of Sharia in this prohibition even if she travels by an advance means of travel.
Know, the Islamic rulings are legislated by the One Who is fully aware of the humans future advancement.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Should not He Who has created know? And He is the Most Kind and Courteous (to His slaves) All-Aware (of everything).}[67:14].
Therefore, you should be patient till Allah makes your problem easy. You may find enough money to spend on her journey with a Mahram or you may find permission from your company Insha Allah.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {….And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. …}[65:2-3].