Travel for Jumah Prayer is difficult

• Fatwa Date:21-1-2003 - Thul-Qi'dah 19, 1423
  • Rating:

Question

I am a Muslim who lives in the United States of America and the nearest mosque to me is 32 miles away or 40 minutes by car. Do I still have to go to Jumah prayer? Thank you.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

As long as the distance of the mosque is too much as you mentioned in your question, then performing Friday prayer is not compulsory for you.
For every one who lives out side a city but within the distance of ten miles of a city Friday prayer becomes an obligation. This is the maximum distance that is defined by Muslim scholars such as Imam 'Ataa.
On the other hand, if one lives in a city no matter how far the distance to a mosque he has to attend Friday prayer.
However, some scholars are of the opinion that Friday prayer is a duty for every one who can perform the Friday prayer and return to his family in the same day. The evidence of the latter opinion is the Hadith reported by Imam al-Tirmizi with a weak chain on the authority of Abu Huraira that Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Friday prayer is compulsory for the one who can come back to his family till the night". [ al-Tirmizi said the chain of this Hadith is weak].
Friday prayer is not obligatory for this enquirer, though attending it is better and desirable if it is possible without facing much hardship. By attending a Friday prayer he can be present at the supplications, and glorification of Allah made with other Muslims.