Unhappy living with her in-laws and wants a separate accommodation
Fatwa No: 88654


My question is about the behavior of a wife towards her in-laws. I have been married for 8 months now, Al-hamdulillaah, and Allaah is my witness that I have tried everything to make my husbands parents happy and his sister also but all in vain. I have ignored so much that now I cannot take any more. I just want to ask that will it be a sin if I ask my husband in an indirect manner to move out. I don't want him to leave his parents as they have full right over him but my patience is finished. Being mentally tortured nearly everyday kills me. I am 7 months pregnant and I really fear that this all will effect my child. Please guide me what to do and what not to do? May Allaah bless us all in this life and Hereafter, Insha Allah, Ameen.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.


First of all we ask Allaah to reward you for being kind to the family of your husband and for being patient over the harm that they caused to you. Allaah will reward you greatly, Insha Allaah.

We advise you to be frank with your husband about the behaviour of his family towards you, so that he may endeavour to settle the differences between you and them, or repel their harm from you. As a wife, you have to know that it is your right to ask him to provide you with a separate accommodation, but you have to take into consideration his circumstances and his ability. If he succeeds in providing you with a separate accommodation, then all perfect praise be to Allaah. If not, we advise you to be patient towards them and help your husband to be dutiful to his parents and kind to his family. We also advise your husband to endeavour to obtain a separate accommodation in a permissible manner, and to repel the harm from you as much as possible.

Allaah knows best.

Related Fatwa