Benefitting of health insurance provided by employer
Fatwa No: 325924

Question

Assalaamu alaykum. I am working in Saudi Arabia, our company has given us a health insurance card, MEDGULF (The Mediterranian & Gulf Co-operative Insurance and Reinsurance Co.). Our company pays the insurance fees on behalf of us without deducting any money from our salary. When we show this in the hospital, we only have to pay 20% of the amount, the other 80% are paid by the insurance company. In addition, if we take any sick leave, then the insurance company pays the salary for that day (as per my knowledge). How is the use of the above benefits in the light of Qur'an and Sunnah? Kindly guide me. May Allaah reward you.

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and Messenger.

What an employee deserves from his company, such as health insurance and the like; there is no harm for him to get it from any organization to which his company refers him to, as we have already stated in fatwa 300787.

Allaah knows best.

Related Fatwa