Lying about personal matters

Question

Is it permissible for me to lie to people about my personal matters? People ask me too many questions and I don't wish to disclose my private matters. Can I lie in this situation (my lying does not affect them in any way)?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
One may keep any matter secret, which if kept secret, does not cause any harm to others. So, dear brother you do not need to lie since you are not compelled to inform others about your personal matters. If you are compelled to answer you may use indirect answers or doubtful expressions that could be understood in more than one way. By doing so one may avoid telling lies.
If this style does not benefit you, under compulsion you may lie under the following conditions:
1. When you feel that you will face harm if you tell the truth.
2. When your lies do not cause harm to others.
3. You should do it only in the time of dire necessity.
4. You should not do it frequently, hence you will become known by this bad habit.