Touching private parts during Ghusl

• Fatwa Date:31-7-2001 - Jumaadaa Al-Oula 11, 1422
  • Rating:

Question

In Ghusl (bath for purification) whole body is washed with water and rinsed by our hands. In the process we touch our penis also. So will my Wudu remains valid for prayer or should I make new Wudu for it? Does touching the penis (private part) invalidate Wudu? Please specify clear steps for performing Wudu.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.
The majority of the Muslim scholars are of the opinion that touching private parts directly by the palm of the hand and fingers, i.e. without having any partition between palm and private parts nullifies Wudu. For the Hadith of Busrah ( may  Allaah  be  pleased  with  her) that the Prophet said: "Whoever touches his sexual organ should perform Wudu". [Abu Dawood, Ibn Majah and al-Muattah] imam Bukhari said: 'This is the most sound Hadith in this subject'. It is written in Awnul-Ma'bood (explanation of Sunan Abu Dawood) 'The above Hadith establishes that touching sexual organ annuls Wudu… The same opinion is held by Umar Bin al-Khattab, his son Abdullah, Abu Ayyoob al-Ansari, Abu Hurairah, Abdullah Bin Amar Bin al-'Aas, Jabir, Aisha, Umm Habibah, Busrah and others ( may  Allaah  be  pleased  with  them). Therefore, whoever touches his sexual organ after completing Ghusl should repeat the Wudu. Allah knows best.