Working where wine is sold

Question

My nieces work as checkout girls in a super store called Sainsbury. This super store sells everything including wine. Are they allowed to work there? Can my sons accept gifts from my nieces' earned money?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

It is well-known that wine and pork are Haram.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, …} [5: 91].
He also Says: {Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been inspired to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytatah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork, etc.) for that surely is impure, …} [6: 145].
Just as a Muslim has to avoid the above-mentioned Haram things and their likes, he has to avoid working in places as restaurants, shops and so on if they trade or deal in these prohibitions.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… Help you one another in AlBirr and AtTaqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. …} [5: 2].
A Muslim has to know that if he gives up something for the sake of Allah, He will make it easy for him to have the best sustenance.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine …} [65: 2-3].
As for accepting gifts, we state that if your niece has Halal earnings, i.e. other than that which she receives from her present work at "Sainsbury stores", then it is Halal for your son to receive her gifts; otherwise, it is Haram. However, it is better and safer to avoid acceptance of these gifts, since there is some suspicion in her wealth.