The house is your husband's not yours
Fatwa No: 86334


I'm not sure if I was good to my dad. He came to us to work and he stayed with us, my husband didn't welcome his stay in our house. Obeying my husband and asked dad to leave the house, he left angrily. One year later he passed away, I think he was mad a t me, and I didn't have a chance to ask him for forgiveness. What should I do now? Is there any thing I can do for him after his death to make him forgive me if I did wrong with him? Please I'm so sad and I don't know what to do. Please help me.


Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. The prevailing opinion of Muslim scholars is that a husband should not prevent his wife's parents from visiting her in his house except if he strongly believes that they will sow discord between him and her. However, he is allowed to prevent them from living in his house since he is the owner of his house and he has the right act freely in his property. In spite of the above, it is better for a husband to regard the feelings of his wife and to permit her parents to live with her in his house, if it does not cause any harm to him. Therefore, you did not commit any mistake. It was supposed that your father understood your position and that you could not permit him to stay in the house of your husband. Finally, we make clear that if a father does not have a house and cannot buy one or rent it, in this case, his male or female children should provide him with shelter if they are able to do so. We ask Allah to forgive us all. As for what to do after father's death please read the Fatwa:83233. Allah knows best.

Related Fatwa