Wearing socks to bed

• Fatwa Date:28-12-2003 - Thul-Qi'dah 5, 1424
  • Rating:

Question

I'd like to know whether it is permissible to wear socks to bed. I haven't read anything anywhere that says it is not, but I have been told by elders that the Angels do not come if you are wearing socks while asleep.
Please clarify the truth for me, so I can tell others and remove any misconceptions there may be.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. There is no objection to wearing socks while sleeping as there is no evidence for that. Moreover, saying that Angels do not enter a home where someone wearing socks is sleeping is not true as there is no evidence for it. However, the Maliki scholars dislike that the person wears socks and sleeps in them just to make sure that he could, when making Wudu later on, wipe on them instead of washing one's feet. They believe that the person who wears socks just for the purpose of Wudu is not permitted to wipe on them. He should rather wash his feet in Wudu. Allah knows best.