Wants to remarry after Khula
Fatwa No: 88502


I want to ask one question about my married life. I was married last 16 months before but due to some misunderstanding we have separated. She took Khula from me 8 months before. Now we both want to remarry. How it should be done. Pls tell us to what is the right way in Islam I hope you be help us. jazakkumul khair thanks


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds.  I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

According to the preponderant opinion of the Muslim scholars, Khul’ (a woman requesting her husband to divorce her via a Muslim judge) is one irrevocable divorce (with minor separation). Thus, if you had not divorced your wife twice before this Khul’, then you may take her back to your conjugal life provided you renew the marriage contract and offer a new dowry.

Also, we warn you of two important matters:

First, one should not hasten into divorcing; rather, he should think and take into consideration the problems he may face after divorce.

Second, when you propose to her after the divorce you could be just one of those who are proposing to her for marriage, so she has the right to refuse your proposal.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa