Wants to marry Muslim brother and migrate to Muslim country but parents object
Fatwa No: 88591


I am a divorced sister with 3 kids living in kuffar country, wish to marry a Muslim brother to look after me and my kids and make migration to a Muslim country together Insha Allaah, my parents don't agree about that 2 points, what the ruling of Islaam regard doing these 2 points (marriage Muslim, migration) and do I need there permission in this case to do that 2 points? (Because I fear about myself and kids from bring up in this Kuffar country).


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.


If your parents refuse the idea of marrying with a Muslim entirely, then you are no longer obliged to obey them.  The obedience of parents is only in the lawful matters as mentioned in the sound narrations of the Prophet  sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allaah exalt his mention ).  Marrying a non-Muslim is totally wrong and is not permitted.

On the other hand, if your parents are of the opinion that you should not get married a certain man, then you have to obey them.  Obeying them is an obligation while marrying a certain man is not so.

However, if you believe strongly that your parents are not interested in getting you married you have to consult Muslim authorities in your area to marry you off to a Muslim. 

All the above rulings are given on the assumption that your parents are Muslims.  If they are non-Muslims, you are not required to ask their permission since a non-Muslim does not have the right of guardianship over a Muslim woman.

As for the matter of migration, after marriage you become subject to your husband, so you have to live with him wherever he lives as long as there is no harm afflicted on you.  His rights take priority over the rights of your parents as stated by the jurists.

If you are not married and you fear any harm for yourself or your children by living in a non-Muslim country, then the migration to a Muslim country becomes mandatory upon you even if you do not have any unmarriageable relative to accompany you.  For the sake of your religion and your children's religion you are allowed to travel without being accompanied by an unmarriageable man.

Allaah knows best.

Related Fatwa