Father works in a bank and shares a house with him
Fatwa No: 89276

  • Fatwa Date:25-1-2005 - Thul-Hijjah 15, 1425
  • Rating:


My father works in a bank and we share a family house with my parents. I have advised him many times to look for another job but he refuses. Do I take my wife and kids and move far away from them? Or do I live close by. I am scared that my kids are eating Haraam, that I am eating Haraam. My brother also works in a bank. I do have my own income and I try to buy all the food but my parents do not agree.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.


If all the money of your father is from forbidden income then it is not permissible for you to eat from his food or benefit from his money except in case of necessity. You should advise him with good words and seek the help of Allaah to rectify his affairs. You can also seek the help of whomever you think can influence him, as it might be that he would repent. So if he takes heed, all perfect praise be to Allaah, otherwise if by staying with him in the house you cannot prevent yourself from benefiting from his forbidden money, then it is an obligation on you to seek a separate dwelling. At that time you have to seek to please your parents if they are angry due to you moving out. By all means you have to be dutiful to them. This is of course if all his money is gained from forbidden resources only, but if his money is mixed from lawful and forbidden income, then it is disliked to benefit from his money and not forbidden. If you are able to find a separate accommodation that is more appropriate unless there is a greater benefit in staying with them. In that case you should reside with them.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa