Search In Fatwa

Separate yourself from this man immediately


I am big sinner, I know that what I have done is big sin, I wish that God will forgive me for it, I have to say that when I did that I knew that it is sin.
I am Muslim woman, and have been married to Christian man for one year. I traveled to the USA with him 2 years ago, I was in relation with him for 2 years, I committed adultery with him and when I came to the USA I married him without asking him to be Muslim, this is a big sin I know, but now I really feel so sinful, I wish to repent to God, now I feel that I am so sinful.
So, I have two questions:
I didn't get work license here in the USA although I have been married to this man for year now. So, I tried hard to find job but no one allowed me to get job with no papers, so its this Christian man who spends on me, so I am in need for him so is it Halaal to be living with him, I pray and read Quran, and God knows that if it wasn't for money I would have traveled to my country.
God knows that I tried hard to find Job. But it was my father who gave all his money to his wife who is not my mother, so I have no money. So my question is: Would God accept my praying when I am living with that man?
I have never prayed before, but now I am praying, fasting, and I am closer to God, so will God accept from me the praying? As I don't have any income, and I can not travel to my country by car, because I live now in the USA, and my country is in the Middle East?


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.

According to the consensus of the scholars may  Allaah  have  mercy  upon  them it is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a Christian man. The source for this consensus is the saying of Allaah (which means): {And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikeen till they believe (in Allaah Alone). And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allaah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. …}[Quran 2:221]. What took place between you and your husband is fornication and not marriage, so you have to repent and immediately separate yourself from him; as it is not permissible to let him have sexual intercourse with you or be tolerant about this matter by any means. The fact that your father was negligent in nurturing you and did not give you money is not an excuse to commit these sins, the lesser of two evils is traveling without a Mahram (non-marriageable relative) than residing with this non-Muslim man. The difficulties that you are facing in finding a new job could be because of this great sin.

As regards whether or not this sin affects your prayer and other acts of worship, the answer is 'no'. However, you should know that these acts of worship are the best means to repel you from committing fornication, Allaah Says (which means): {and perform the prayers (establishment of the prayer), Verily, the prayer protects one from Al-Fahshaa' (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.)}[Quran 29: 45].

With regard to your need for money, this is again not a religious excuse for living with this man. It might be that if you fear Allaah, Allaah will facilitate your affairs. Allaah Says (which means): {And whoever fears Allaah—He will make for him a way out. And will provide for him from where he does not expect.}[Quran 65:2-3].

Therefore, we advise you to take your matter to the brothers who are running Islamic centres in your country; we believe that they will help you in solving your problem.

Finally, it should be noted that residing in a non-Muslim country leads to many evils and causes of affliction and temptation. So it is not permissible for a Muslim to reside there except for a necessity. For more benefit please refer to Fataawa 89738, 88406, 87373, 86405 and 81642.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa