Paying debts or performing ‘Umrah on the mother’s behalf
Fatwa No: 120168

  • Fatwa Date:16-1-2014 - Rabee' Al-Awwal 15, 1435
  • Rating:


My mother died without performing ‘Umrah or Hajj and I want to perform ‘Umrah on her behalf, knowing that I work in Saudi Arabia but I have debts. Is it permissible for me to borrow money? Please advise.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

May Allaah Reward you for your keenness on being dutiful to your mother. You should know that if your mother was capable of performing Hajj and ‘Umrah and she did not perform them, money should be taken from her estate for performing Hajj and ‘Umrah on her behalf. If she was not capable of performing Hajj and ‘Umrah before her death, it would be preferable to perform Hajj or ‘Umrah on her behalf. 

If you wanted to perform ‘Umrah on behalf of your mother, you would be rewarded, Allaah Willing, and if you borrowed money to do this, Allaah The Almighty Will Compensate you as this is an act of dutifulness to your mother after her death. However, if you are not sure of repaying the debt or this debt will hinder you from repaying your other debts, you should not borrow money and you should wait until you repay your debts. Then, when you have enough money you can perform ‘Umrah on behalf of your mother.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa