Her husband brings home a non-Muslim man to drink alcohol with
Fatwa No: 299179


As Salaamu AlaykumA sister just told me that her husband drink alcohol 3 times a week, get home at 3 am and sometimes bring a non Muslim man with him to drink at home. She looks herself and two small children in her room because sometimes her husband fall sleep and the his non Muslim friend stays wake walking around their home.She has tried many times to talk to her husband but he ignores her. She does not want to ask her friends to talk to him because they are all from the same town back in their native country and we live in a small town where there is no Majids. The brothers pray Jumah in an office. There no Iman and no brother in our community wants to talk to him about his drinking problemShe also mentioned her husband lack of love for his older son who crystal a lot when he sees his father drunk.Can you please tell me how can I advise her?Jazaki Allah Khairn Was Salaamu Alaykum


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

We have already mentioned some guidelines regarding how a wife should deal with her husband who consumes alcohol or other intoxicants, so please refer to Fataawa 186083 and 86282

What remains is to be considered is the issue of her husband letting that man consume alcohol in his house and him walking around in the house. If this is true, then he exposes his wife to danger, and it is a form of cuckoldry (lack of jealousy over women).

His wife did well by locking herself and her children in her room. However, she should not restrict herself to this; indeed, she must remind her husband once he becomes sober of the danger of this matter, and she should seek help from righteous people to advise him, and in fact to warn him that if he brings that man again and puts his wife and children in danger, they would speak to the authorities.

If the situation remains the same after warning him, then it might be better to separate from him by divorce or Khul‘, as there is no good for her in living with such a husband. Al-Buhooti said: “If a husband neglects the right of Allaah, then the wife is like him in this regard (i.e. resorting to divorce), so it is desirable for her to seek Khul‘ from him due to him neglecting the rights of Allaah.” [End of quote]

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa