Using utensils of non-Muslim

Question

I'm living right now in Canada and share the house with non-Muslim. We use the same utensils (cooking plates.. etc). Can I use them after I clean them or do have to use my own?

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

If those non-Muslims you live with do not avoid impurities and you do not find other utensils except those used by them, then there is no harm in using them after washing them. It is proved from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) that he was asked about using the utensils of non-Muslims he said: "If you can get utensils other than theirs, do not eat in their utensils, but if you do not find (other than theirs), then wash their utensils and eat in them". [Reported by Imam Bukhari]
This is the opinion of the school of al-Zahiriyah. But the majority of the Muslim scholars are of the opinion that the utensils of non-Muslims become pure merely by washing them. Therefore, the prohibition mentioned in the Hadith "using their utensils is permissible only when one does not find other utensils" strongly recommends avoiding theirs utensils, otherwise they become clean only by washing them.
However, we prefer the opinion of al-Zahiriyah in this issue since it is safer and conforms to the words of Hadith. So, one should adopt it.