Moving from Saudi Arabia to UK to be with her mother
Fatwa No: 88533


Is it permissible to leave dar-ul-Islaam, i.e. Saudi Arabia to live in UK as my mother is a widow and has a lot of problems and I would like to support her but I am worried that UK is dar-ul-Kufr although Muslims are allowed to practise freely here there are Masjid here also. My mother cannot do Hijrat because of her financial condition I was born in London and moved to Saudi after getting married and my husband is fine with us moving, but I want to know my Allaah will be happy with me. Please help me solve my problem. May Allaah bless and forgive all the Muslim Ummah.


All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions.


As a general principal of Islam, living in a non-Muslim country is not allowed unless there is a dire necessity as we have discussed thoroughly in our previous Fataawa: 81642 and 81464.

Therefore, we advise you to make every effort to bring your mother to live with you in Saudia if it is possible.

If it is not possible, and you are able to provide her with what she needs such as her expenditure and a maid to take care of her, then you have to do that. If this also is not possible and your going there is the only way to take care of your mother, to please her, and to show kindness to her, then there is no harm in your living with your mother. However, as soon as the reason that allows you to live there ends, or you find a Muslim country to live in and have your mother with you, then you have to leave the UK.

Finally, we advise you to be steadfast on your religion, keep away from all that could lead to temptations and make every effort to raise your children according to Islam.

Allaah knows best.

Related Fatwa